Thursday, July 7, 2016

June Music Find





While browsing around Instagram, on several accounts, I stumbled my way back to one of my favorite pages @rueanafel . Her page is full of beautiful eye-pleasing photos of her journey as a stylist & floral designer. While scrolling through her feed, I came across one of her videos showing her bedroom . While the videography was appealing, the music immediately grabbed my attention. After researching who the artists behind the music was,  I now know of the incredibly talented man known as James Leyland Kirby. 


Through the years James has gone under a few aliases, such as V/Vm, The Stranger, and The Caretaker. Since his start in his music career, he’s released several albums. While each album displays a different sound/genre, I came to love The Caretakers’ An Empty Bliss Beyond This World. This particular album would have to be my favorite. His style in music in this album resonates with pastimes and genres of music I adore, such as Ragtime, 1920s and 1940s jazz. With that being said, An Empty Bliss Beyond This World features songs that are uniquely distorted from sampled 78s. The music is directly pulled from a wide selection of period vinyls from the 1920s - 1970s.  The album is unlike anything I’ve heard in present day. It's a perfect blend of old-time waltz, lullabies, and music you’d typically hear in vintage films. Listening to it definitely takes you back to a time that existed before you. Frankly, I can have it on repeat all day. 


You can check out Kirby’s music here : Soundcloud

Below is a playlist of a few of my personal favorites that are similar in sound . Enjoy !





No comments :

Post a Comment